Saturday, September 19, 2009

Movie Review ~ Law Abiding Citizen

Firstly, I have to say, I had 2 margaritas (open bar) with hardly anything to eat, Gerard was sitting in front of us, Gary next to me, and the added stress of having to go to the restroom the second half of the movie -- to give it a fair critique.

Law Abiding Citizen, directed by F. Gary Gray, started with action, which I loved, with Clyde (Gerard Butler) and his family attacked. The pacing is fast, laying the foundation right away, then its 10 years later. Murders happen and Clyde is behind it all. He is calculating -- every move he makes has a purpose. I had one idea of how he was killing everyone from jail, but I was wrong! I never guessed the ending. Gerard and Jamie Foxx were terrific playing off each other. Gerard had you pulling for Clyde and at times you didn't like Nick (Jamie Foxx).

The music is great, composed by Brian Tyler. I would get anxious as the music built up ready for something bad to happen and it did! I loved the way the film was shot, the angles and the lighting. Its bloody and gruesome, but not Inglourious Basterds gruesome. When someone asks me what the movie is like, Silence of Lambs always comes to mind.

Kurt Wimmer's well written plot, kept me on the edge of my seat! I read the budget for the film was just $50 million, but it looked like a high budget film, costumes, sets, props, and explosions. Gary, Gerard, and Jamie as well as the entire cast were fantastic!

At one point I said to Gary, "Oh no you didn't!" Concerning a scene with Nick's daughter. Gary laughed.
During the nude scene I realized I had said aloud, "Oh my God." I leaned over to Gary and said, "Thank you."
He said, "You're welcome." And then laughed.
I remember grabbing his arm a few times too during some blow up scenes. (I blame it all on the liquid courage.)

Of course I have to see the movie again in a less stressful environment to give the movie a fair review. I wish I didn't have to wait until October 16th to see the movie again!

I told Gary that our group tries to see all of Gerard's movies 10 times each. He said he was going to hold me to it, but I have no worries, they won't need convincing to see this terrific movie over and over again. WE SHOOK ON IT! Well done F. Gary Gray!


Visit the official site:
Law Abiding Citizen Film



Law Abiding Citizen in theaters October 16, 2009

No comments: